Sunday, October 19, 2008

A new 'do.

What a couple of days. I can't really begin to tell you all how touched I am at this point. I've been planning the head shave for a couple of weeks now, and we were supposed to be doing it next weekend, but I got a phonecall on Thursday night to say that Shelley's hair was starting to come out, and I thought we'd be moving it forward. So, yesterday, the scissors came out, the clippers were plugged in, and the hair was cut. And I love it! Not the type of haircut I'd normally ask for, but it feels really cool, and I'm so honoured to have been able to do this for someone amazing.
So, speaking of amazing people ... there are a lot of them out there! On Friday night, Tracy Belinda and I headed off to Canon headquarters for a Scrapbooking Memories Pixma party, and got to chat to a truly wonderful woman. Melissa Frances (you can can check out her website if you don't know her!) was there with her fiance Brian, and we had the chance to talk to them thoughout the night. Melissa shared her experiences as a breast cancer survivor, and it was very touching. It also gave me hope - we've been focusing on now with Shelley, and not so much on the future, and this reminded me why it's important that we raise money for research into this disease, so that there are more stories like hers. Anyway, we told her about my impending shave, and I was really honoured by her reaction. To be told what a truly special thing it was by someone who would know what that would mean to a breast cancer sufferer ... it really touched me. It was an evening I won't forget in a hurry!

Other amazing people at the SM party ... well, there were heaps. I felt so privileged to be there among all these names that I recognised from the mags, or the forums, and whose work I admired. The awesome Sara Pearcy, looking totally glowing (partly due to the projector shining in her face! lol) gave us some great tips on photography. We got to play with some AWESOME printers ... omg, A3+ sized photos onto rag paper - I'm in love! And, I've found glossy prints that make me happy in my heart!!

So saturday ... I was stressing out a bit because we didn't know when we were doing the shave. It was looking like we were going to be waiting till today, and I was SOOO ready to go. Then my sis rang me and said "do you want to come down here now and we'll do it?" I was there in a shot. I tell you, we have some seriously funny photos from during - never in my life have I had short hair like it was after we hacked off the plaits. Or a mowhawk. Or a racing stripe down the middle! In fact, my mum came down to watch because she's never seen my head - I was born with a heap of thick black hair, so this is officially the first time my scalp has seen the light of day! And I've gotta tell you, I really liked it short - I'm looking forward to it getting a bit longer than it is now so I can play around with some different hairstyles!!

So the wierd - well, I didn't realise how much like velcro my head would be. Seriously, taking my hat off at softball - it was EXACTLY like ripping the two sides of velcro apart. Freaky! Or, how much my head would stick to my pillow case. We shaved with the clippers, then when I got home I went over it again with a razor, but my hair is so thick that there is still the tiniest bit of stubble. Oh yeah - I have something cool to share! I have a new weight loss tip. Firstly, what you do is grow your hair for most of your life, with only occasional trims chucked in. You make sure you are born with rediculously thick hair. And then, you shave it all off. Hey presto, you'll be almost 2 kilos lighter. Seriously! I weighed myself before and after, and it was 1.85kilos difference. Too funny!

So, you're really only here to see photos aren't you? Well, without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to - TAMARA'S HEAD!!





The bottom pic is me, Shelley in the middle, and my sister. Aren't we a sexy bunch?? lol

Oh, yeah - the Girl's Night In yesterday! I'd like to say a massive thankyou to Karryn and Gill for an amazing job, and to all the sponsors that provided awesome prizes. Also to Cath at LSBS for her contribution to the night. It was wonderful to be a part of such an amazing group of women who were happily giving to a good cause, and I felt so overwhelmed walking in to a massive round of applause ... I can't even begin to tell you all what the comments and support meant to me, I feel really touched. It was great to share a table with some beautiful people too - Michelle, Steph and Missty were great scrapping companions, thanks girls! I hope I didn't take up too much of the table.

And now for the thankyous. Thanks to everyone who has supported me, either through your well-wishes, or your financial contributions. Big or small, they have all made a difference, and added to our total which I THINK is getting very close to $1500. It's still not too late to make a donation ... check out the next post down for the link to donate straight to our Girl's Night In page, via the Cancer Council's totally secure Credit card donation site, and they'll email you a PDF tax invoice straight away, so you can claim it back on your tax next year - gotta love that!! Otherwise, email me and I'll give you some bank details, if you'd rather not use your CC online. Don't forget to leave me a comment if you do make a donation, so I can add your name into the draw for one of a few little prizes I have to give away - a personalised button cupboard (you can see my version in the next post down too) and some scrapping packs, as well as some nice little pamper packs. I also have a Red Earth hair care pack here that I was given a little while ago, which I don't think I need any more - it's been opened so I could smell the yumminess, but not used! lol

I think that's it for me now - I'm off to moisturise my head. I didn't pull my camera out at all at either the SM or GNI events, so if you were there, and got photos, please email them to me! (I know there are some photos of me from the GNI - I felt like I was surrounded by the paparazzi when I arrived! LOL)

And if you are still reading at this point, well done - give yourself a pat on the back! I wonder if this is my longest blog post to date!

20 comments:

rebelliouskiwi said...

LOVE the new 'do PT! Well done & of course for such a great cause :)

Shimano (aka Christine) said...

PT - you so rock. Love the new hair do, you totally fabulous girl.

Kristie said...

OMG PT, you look awesome! What an amazing thing you've done :)
If you email me the bank details I'll pop something in for you later in the week (gotta wait til payday). My Aunt is a breast cancer survivor and I'd like to give something in honour of her :)
oh yeah: kmorrison10@gmail.com

Wirg's Creative World said...

Wow PT, great photos and wonderful smiles on the three of your faces! Pleasure to help with the cause, eft has been done. Massive hugs matie again!
hugs
Wirgie x x x

Sonia said...

fantastic....it looks good one you and what a great cause...

Narelle said...

I think it really suits you! Good on you for having the courage to do it!

I amde a donation last week through Gill and Karyn's GNI- every bit helps!

Shelee said...

I second that Virg - there's no trepidation on your face - just pure joy, because you know you're doing an amazing thing to help someone so special and a great cause.

YOU ROCK !!!!! :)

Deanne Stewart-Mills said...

You rock sweetie!!! The new do looks good on you. Can't wait to see you with a sexy short hair look.
So proud of you!!!

Deanne
xx

Anonymous said...

What an amazing thing to do!! Good on you! Hope karma smiles right back at you :)
Trish

Michelle W said...

Congratulations PT for your courage, effort and fundraising! You look fabulous, and I love your analogy to velcro !

Madonna said...

OH YOU'RE GORGEOUS!!! Love it!! Go you!! So glad that I was able to help you even in such a small way!! Will check in for regular updates on the "do" over the coming months!!

Michelle said...

Go Tamara!! You all look awesome in your new 'do's, and I'm ROFLMAO about the 2kg of instant weight loss - easiest diet you've ever done I bet :) I've put a donation in via the GNI link, and I'll be watching to see your hairstyles as they emerge!

byclops said...

It's awesome!! WAY TO GO!!!

smauge said...

Now you can wear big chandelier earrings and people will actually see them!
ps. thanks for your comment on my blog!

Tracey said...

You are made of so many kinds of awesome darling.... so sorry to have missed the big reveal at the GNI - I had no idea it was this weekend *blush*... well done, and I love you so much
Love
Trace

Tracy said...

Woo Hoo!!! PT what you have done is amazing and I think you are are totally bloody awesome girl :)
Thanks for you wonderful company on Friday night, I had the best time!!!
catch up with you soon
Huggs
Trac x

Sarah Schwerin said...

Hi Tamara! Was great meeting you on Friday night!
Wow - what an awesome thing you have done for your sister in law. You look great, and she must feel very lucky to have someone like you in her life. Good on you!

Tara said...

Wow... how awesome are you!?

way to go PT

Julie said...

You have done an awesome thing PT and you look awesometoo.

david santos said...

Great work!!!
Congratulations!!