Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Back in the Land of the Living

What a busy couple of weeks! Just a quick update of what's been going on ... I'm too tired to write much at the moment.

Kieran turned 13 - I'm SOOO not in the head-space to have a teenage son, so I don't know who let that happen, but they'd better turn the clock back quickly! We decided to get him an electric guitar, and Target had an awesome one in their toy sale catalogue. I rang around the stores near us, the day before the sale started, and only Penrith had any in stock - and they only had 12. So, silly mum decided to head over to Penrith at midnight for the opening ... man, having faced that, Pamplona would be a piece of cake! I got knocked over by some psycho chick, who then ran over me with her trolley ... I kid you not, this is not some bizarre urban legend, this was my reality at 12.01am. Can you believe it?? What some people will do for the prospect of a slightly cheaper trolley full of toys that their kids will break in a day or so! I ended up getting the guitar, and headed back to the car, where I sat for about 10 minutes - I think if I had driven off, and seen the psycho walking across the street, I would have been seriously tempted to show her exactly how it felt to be run over!
Yes, Kieran loved the guitar - totally blown away, he was. So it was worth it. He got some great presents, and had a wonderful day.
The next weekend was the big one - dinner on friday night with some relatives from my side of the family, who were here from all over the country. Saturday morning soccer, which was our biggest game - Tay's team scored 2 goals!! WOO HOO!! Saturday afternoon and well into the night was an engagement party for Dennis' neice, and it was great to catch up with everyone, as exhausting as it was. It was at Tahmoor, which is just a lovely place!
Sunday morning brought the birthday party - and a trek into Milsons Point to Luna Park. We met a few of Kieran's mates at the railway station, only to discover that there was weekend trackwork, and we had to catch buses part of the way. Tayla was very excited, but also a bit nervous - it was her first train trip.
We arrived at Milsons Point, and OMG the wind was bitterly cold as we walked down the hill. It was fine for the rest of the day, but it was a scary start! Lots of rides, lots of laughter, and lots of fun was had. Kelsey, our shy quiet little girl, went mental - going on all the rides she could by herself, including the Wild Mouse and the Spider! Tayla, on the other hand, was a bit more reserved - it took her ages to build up the courage to go on the Ferris Wheel, but when she did she loved it! She also went on the Spider - screaming all the time "This bit is scary, and this bit is scary, and this bit is scary - the whole thing is scary mummy!" while she had the biggest smile on her face. I don't know how the girls were able to walk on the way back to the train - up the stairs for the slides at Coney Island about a million times. Man, you should all be very VERY scared when these girls get their licence too -you should have seen them on the dodgems! Kelsey was a little speed demon, darting in and out of traffic, chucking laps around everyone!

The special guest appearance for the day was Mr Chucky. Kieran has a love/hate relationship with fast big rides ... loves to go on them, hates what they do to his stomach!! lol The notable absence?? The digital camera, which was safely locked up in the car back at the railway station. Thanks to the lovely people at the gift shop, we now have 27 photos on a disposable camera to commemorate the day - I hope some of them turn out.

Then to the trip home. I don't know if you heard about his accident ...

This is just around the corner from us. The train/bus we were supposed to be on would have meant that we were getting home (or just here) at the time of the accident. We didn't know it at the time we were cursing the overcrowded all-stations bus we got pushed onto, but it saved us from either being here when this happened, or coming more directly upon the wreckage. As it was, we drove down the highway to a massive amount of flashing lights, and had to be redirected. It made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. Someone was looking out for us!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ... how good was it? I'll leave my rant and rave post for another day (I had a totally crappy shopping experience when I headed off bright and early to get my copy of the book too!!) but I totally loved the end of the series, and had a number of gasp out loud, teary moments. Thanks for the wonderful moments, Harry and Co!

Ok, I need to go to bed - totally exhausted here, I have a bit of hay fever I think. Night all, take care, I'll try to update again soon with some pics!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Thanks for the update... sounds like an awesome birthday.