Friday, August 24, 2007

Why does it always rain on me?

Wow, time has passed since my last update, huh? It's been a pretty horrific few weeks in the Rodgers household ... please don't feel obligated to read this, it's pretty sad and depressing. I'm really just posting it as a bit of an emotional purge for myself!!

A few weeks ago, Dennis got a phone call from Kieran's school ... he'd been hit in the head, was sitting up and talking ok, but they'd called an ambulance just as a precaution. At least, that's what we were told. He rang me at work, said "I'm on my way there, but it's no big deal". I just had a really sick feeling in my stomach, so went and spoke to the Deputy Principal, who let me go home early. I was on my way along the highway, heading towards his school, when Dennis rang me again - it was NOT quite as inane as it was first described to him. Dennis and Tayla had walked in to the quad, to find the paramedics putting a neck collar on Kieran, who was lying in a pool of his own blood. Another kid had gone nuts, king hit him from behind, and then kicked him in the head and back a number of times until he was unconscious, and only stopped kicking when a teacher got there. I beat the ambulance to the hospital, and saw my baby looking scared, immobilised and bloody, lying on the stretcher in the emergency room. Amazingly, he's fine physically - he ended up with some deep tissue bruising, but it's a miracle that there were no broken bones, no lasting head trauma ... thank God for that!! He's been back at school for a couple of weeks now - it's been really stressful for him, and he's getting a hard time off some total w&nkers at school, but he's coping a whole lot better than I would be! Thank goodness for the school counsellor, is all I can say - and petition your local member for more funding for counselling staff in schools!! There aren't enough of them. It's really been up and down though - some good days, some bad ... he keeps reliving the moment before he blacked out, when he thought he was going to die, and it's one of those times when I just wish I could bundle him up, run away from everything, and protect him. It sucks when life doesn't end up being what you planned, isn't it? Who expects this kind of thing when you spend so much time choosing a school for your kids??

Anyway ... yes, the school has suspended the attacker, and there are ongoing investigations ... he's been charged, and Kieran decided to apply for an AVO against him. I tell you, my boy was a total trooper at the Police Station filing his report - I thought I was going to lose it! We are still going through a lot of follow up stuff in regards to the school, and where we go from here.

The light in all of this? Kieran has wanted to go to Army Cadets for ages ... he would have prefered Air Force cadets, but it's a bit too far to travel to. So my mum offered to pay his fees for his birthday present. I took him along to check it out the monday after the attack - and it was EXACTLY what he needed. He started on Monday night this week, and he's totally in his element. It was so good to see him smile, and hear him talk about something with excitement in his voice ... I breathed a little easier that night. As much as the protective mother in me would like to see him take up a career that's a little safer (dentistry maybe??) the overwhelming joy he shows when talking about all things military is really exciting to see ... how spunky does he look in his greens??

If only that was the only tragedy in our lives ... my grandfather is in ICU as I type this. His lungs have collapsed a few times now, and he's not a good candidate for surgery, so we are basically playing a waiting game. I'm really not ready to say goodbye to him, you know? He's my rock ... when I had no father figure around, he's always been the stable man in my life. I can't envisage a world in which I won't be hearing one of Pa's infamously bad jokes any more. Yes, he's a fighter, and yes, he's beaten the odds many times before, but there can only be so many times that your body can fight through something like this before it just can't do it anymore, can't there? So, if you are the praying type, prayers for Reg would be much appreciated right now - I'd like him and Tayla, best mates that they are, to have some more time together.

What else? My mother in law is in hospital - thankfully, not as serious, and she should be home, touch wood, on Sunday. But she gave us all a scare! My sister has gone through some tests - she's pregnant, and her ultrasound and blood tests put her in a high risk group, so we are praying that they come back on Monday showing no problems. I really feel like I'm just holding it together ... and not very well, really!! Thank goodness for the LSBS weekend retreat last weekend - it helped me hold on to the last vestiges of my sanity!

On to the retreat - my shining beacon, my saving grace. I tell you, I didn't realise how totally awesome my best friends are - even those I hadn't met in person before!! These girls are the sweetest, funniest, craziest, most genuine people I've ever had the good fortune to meet, and I thank God for them. Cath, Nic, Tracey, , Michelle, Lisa, Helen, Sharon... love you all to bits! I'm waiting for some pics from everyone (I didn't take my camera, as Dennis needed it for a soccer gala day) so I'll share them later, but you can see some on Relsi's blog. I also got to meet up with some new friends - Amanda, Bon, Celeste, and the totally divine Narelle, who I just adore. I can't wait to catch up with her again - hopefully in a couple of months, if I get to Paperific in Melbourne to see her and Bon again! I can't wait.

Classes? TOTALLY worth it! The totally awesome, her royal marvellousness, Alison Shearer, taught along side the Divine Miss Lisa - 2 classes, 2 groups, 1 timeslot! They handled it so well, and had some great OTP projects for us to do!! Sunday was a cool class with Rebekka Erickson. As soon as I get any of the projects finished (they are in various states at the moment) I'll share them with you.

The highlight was definitely the PJ fashion parade - Relsi has a group shot on her blog (OMG check out my cleavage!!! lol) It was too funny - I don't remember the last time I laughed so much, which was EXACTLY what I needed. That was just after the most relaxing massage from Tracy, who'd joined us for the day to give us all some much needed stress relief - thanks Trace! I got about 3 hours sleep each night - I wasn't one of the brave few who managed to stay up all hours, but it was definitely the best sleep I've had in weeks and weeks. So BIG thanks to Cath for the best weekend I've had in a long time ... can't wait till next year!

Well, this weekend is either going to be great, or awful ... we are going to see how Pa is going tomorrow night, before I make a decision as to whether we take the kids for a drive down on Sunday to see him. I'd hate for them to miss out on the opportunity to get to see him again, just in case ... so again, big prayers for Reg!! We don't have soccer any more, so we all get a sleep in tomorrow morning - woo hoo! Oh, I forgot to mention - Dennis got a new job! He's assistant manager at a sporting goods and shoe store ... which is where his car broke down last week, and ended up costing us $500 to get fixed. Hmmmm. See? Told you it'd been a crappy month!!

Ok, I'm going to go and chase these kids off to bed, then get stuck into some scrapping. If you are still reading this, go and get yourself a drink and some chocolate - you deserve it!!

Hmmm ... pics aren't uploading - I'll come back later and add them. Trust me, they are worth waiting for!!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Hugs to you PT! I have been thinking of you!

Bon said...

Can't wait to see you again either PT will be a very cool slumber party. Hope the dark storm clouds of life move away from your home very soon, I think you have had more than your share for quite some time.

helenj said...

Ditto to what Bon said
Great to have some laughs with you on the retreat
I still keep laughing about our conversation while we were eating....too funny!
Love you heaps chickie !

Lisa Pate said...

Hey beautiful Girl :)

Thinking of you alot at the moment. Hoping things start to settle real soon.

Love you babe :)

mimi said...

oh my god, this is just awful, i have just discovered your blog today. i hope your boy is fine now,
take care
Mimi

Tracey said...

HUGS to you babe - and I agree the weekend away was awesome (even if my bunk buddy snored ;) - although she DID warn me about that!)... glad that things are looking up, and can't wait to catch up with you soon...hmmm, might even be driving your way myself in MY new car!!!!